Monday 1 November 2010

halloween!


I once asked my friend who celebrates Halloween, what's Halloween all about? And she said that it's a tradition celebrated on the night of October 31 which is popular in US, UK, Ireland, Canada, and due to increased American cultural influence in recent years, imported through exposure to US television and other media, trick-or-treat has started to occur among children in many parts of Europe, and even in Saudi Arabia! Traditional activities include trick-or-treat, bonfires, costume parties, visiting "haunted houses" and carving jack-o-lanterns (the mr pumpkin!).

Halloween has its origins in the ancient Celtic festival known as Samhain (pronounced "sah-win"). The festival of Samhain is a celebration of the end of the harvest season in Gaelic culture. Samhain was a time used by the ancient pagans to take stock of supplies and prepare for winter. The ancient Gaels believed that on October 31, the boundaries between the worlds of the living and the dead overlapped and the deceased would come back to life and cause havoc such as sickness or damaged crops. The festival would frequently involve bonfires. It is believed that the fires attracted insects to the area which attracted bats to the area. These are additional attributes of the history of Halloween. Masks and costumes were worn in an attempt to mimic the evil spirits or appease them. (extracted from www.halloweenhistory.org)

cute mr pumpkin! -this is the only thing i like about halloween.

"So, it's more like to chase the evil spirit! Oh, come and join us this weekend for the party, it's so much fun!" -she said last Friday. I thanked her for the invitation but at the same time had to say sorry that I couldn't go to the party as I need to finish up my work during the weekend. I honestly don't know how to decline the invitation nicely as to not offending her. But luckily for me when she said, "Ooh no worries, no pressure for you. Have a nice weekend then!" "You too. See you next week ya!" -I replied.

I remember reading an article about 'What does Islam teach on manners and dealing with others?'. Islam places great emphasis on manners and on the proper way to deal with others, whether they are Muslims or not (just like my case above she's not a Muslim). Relationships between people are very important in Islam, and maintaining good relationships with others should be a main priority of a practicing Muslim. In fact, Islam teaches that Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) said: "I have been sent to perfect the best of manners". He summarised the goal of his entire message into the perfection of the best of manners. For example be kind to your neighbours, removing any obstacle from the way some kind of showing care to others as well, show mercy, be generous, smiling and spread the 'salaam' to others. The most important bit is to be kind towards parents and spouses.

InsyaAllah may this will be a reminder for me and you! ^_^ ok, I need to get back to my homework now! I woke up quite late (though already had such a long sleep..ouchh) and even had a nightmare of cutting my own hair vigorously since last night the bell always ringing by the trick-or-treaters (I don't dare to open for any of them-due to health n safety precautions of course!). oh well, luckily we only have halloween once a year-till we meet again next year mr pumpkin! =P


No comments:

Post a Comment